I absolutely LOVE Do It Yourself (DIY) projects! I've always been a crafty person, and being an assistant costumer at the Broadway Theatre for 2 years and joining a sorority have both given me plenty of chances to be creative and crafty. Now that I'm living in my very first apartment, I've been going a little crazy on the DIY projects to decorate. As a college student, my crafting budget is pretty much non existant, so I like to find ways to repurpose old things, and find my supplies very cheap.
I've made a few wreaths before, but I've always followed a template or a picture from pintrest or a crafting blog when designing it. This time, I did it totally 'freehand' without looking at any pictures for inspiration or ideas- it was all me! I'm really surprised with how well it came out! Regardless of if you live in an apartment, dorms, or with your parents, wreaths are the perfect way to make it feel more "homey" and decorate for the season.
Supplies:
1 blue flower busshel (dollar tree)
4 white flower bushels (dollar tree)
1 Medium Wreath ($5 Michael's)
4 Letters to Spell "Home" ($.50/each Michael's)
*Burlap
*Blue Paint
*Sponge Brush
*Hot Glue Gun
***These are items I already had, but you can get them pretty much anywhere (Michael's, Dollar Tree, Walmart Ect.
Step #1
First, I cut about 6 inches of the bottom of the stems of the white flower bushells so they weren't so long. Then, I hot glued 2 white flower bushells on the left side of the wreath facing upwards. Use the glue generously, and don't worry if it looks messy- Once you put the bigger flower on you can't see any of the glue. Then, I hot glued the other 2 going the opposite way on the same side.
Step #2
Cut the stem of the blue bushell off, leaving only about an 2 inches of the stem attatched to the flowers. Put some hot glue on the end of the stem and stick it into the left side of the wreath in between the white bushells.Step #3
This was definitely my favorite part because I love to paint. Paint the letters with a sponge brush, brushing only downwards so that the letters get that pinstriped look. Another alternative I considered in lue of having the wreath say "home" is using the house number for your address or your last name! I decided to go with "home" because there's a song in the Broadway Production of Beauty and the Beast called home that I adore.
Step #4
Make a bow out of burlap, ribbon, or really any material! First, take the material and fold it so it looks like the breast cancer ribbon. Next, pinch the center of tthe fabric so that it comes together as a bow. Last, cut a 1 inch swatch of material to tie the center together. You can also add a little hot glue (I really do love hot glue) to the middle so that it will stay together. Now you have your bow!
Step #5
Hot glue the bow and the letters onto the wreath to have your finished product! Yay wreaths!







No comments:
Post a Comment